There are definitely advantages and disadvantages to using the web.
- The web is a vast collection of up to date resources and information.
- A great place to reach out to and communicate with friends, family, experts, or colleagues around the world.
- You can be creative and share ideas with others easily.
- Learning through the internet can be entertaining and motivating.
- There are lots of problem solving tools and models online.
- There are online schools and classes, so you don’t have to drive as far to be educated.
- You can shop online for better prices, without driving to a large number of stores.
- There is lots of entertaining games and videos online.
- You can watch TV and movies online too.
- There are dangers in the anonymity of the web. Children can be especially venerable to strangers, adults pretending to be children, and other children. Cyberbullying is a “side effect” of this.
- There is a huge amount of people who can see information and pictures you post. This may effect your career and personal life. And criminals can target you if you put the wrong information on the web. (example: Posting “I am on vacation” or pictures of lots of money)
- Using the web can make you susceptible to hackers and to computer viruses/other destructive code.
Ways to Avoid the Disadvantages
- Shop on secure websites.
- Only post things you would show your boss or a potential employer.
- Use strong passwords.
- Don’t post things that encourage robbery or inappropriate pictures.
- Don’t post too much personal information.
- Monitor children online and teach them to be careful around chat rooms and to beware of strangers.
- Encourage children and adults to report suspicious behavior or cyberbullying.